Friday, May 13, 2016

Being positive

I cannot say it is without a tinge of sadness that I see the STI is going down and down. This is especially so after you are vested.

Worse, the temptation to trade gnaws in the background, thinking that one can easily buy at current lows and sell. All this without doing proper homework.

I must consistently remind myself that I should not be treating this as a playground, and do the hard work of studying and understanding what I am investing in, and put money wisely into places which I believe in.

It is easy to lapse into thinking that I can outsmart the market.

That being said, it is Friday!

There's been some talk here that some have noticed more younger people are taking up investing, and have their theories on the phenomenon.

It may very well be true that the younger generation (getting hard to think of myself as young at this age though!) desire instant gratification.

Am I seeking a way out of traditional employment?

Being really honest with myself, there is no doubt that I have serious reservations about my current profession. As my friends and colleagues relate their experiences to me, it is easy to notice a strong undercurrent of dissatisfaction in many of these conversations.

Or perhaps, it is just another manifestation of the Singaporean penchant for complaining!

Unfortunately, it is difficult to share these reservations with most people outside the profession. Most would simply brush it off as "You've had it made already!" without seeking to understand more.

Nonetheless, I do see many positives in my current job. In fact, I can say that I generally like where I am like now.

Which is why I will probably stay where I am for now.

But I am under no illusion that investing will be a quick get-rich scheme. Thankfully.

In fact, thus far, I've only enjoyed paper loss. Have yet to see green in my portfolio.

But I understand the importance of investing. I understand that that will come with risk.

And I am prepared to size that risk, and take it.

And I look forward to the day, perhaps 3 decades from now, when I can look back at myself today and say "I am glad I began this journey".

And I am glad my wife agrees with me.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 1) CW,

      LOL!

      Be nice now.


      2) Shokus,

      Don't mind qian bei CW.

      He merely testing you.

      Youth, you strength is you don't know what cannot be done!


      But then again, 3 decades from now, you may also look back with disgust that you should never had began this journey.

      Statistically speaking, the majority have LOST money at investing :(


      This "long term I will make money" fallacy is the biggest lie of them all ;)

      Don't forget what you've written:

      "It is easy to lapse into thinking that I can outsmart the market."

      Delete