Friday, May 20, 2016

Manulife US REIT IPO

Was watching with interest as this new REIT counter launch this week.

This is the first IPO for SGX mainboard this year.

I was deciding whether to subscribe to it for quite a bit. Did a brief research on them and did not find anything too unsettling.

However, I decided not to go in in the end due to the following considerations:

  1. If I am planning to subscribe to this REIT, the intention would be to hold this for a long time, say few years at the minimum.
  2. This would expose me to forex risk, which isn't too bad as the SGD is likely to depreciate against the USD in the near future with our new monetary policy.
  3. However, looking at the risk of US election coming this November, there is a very real risk of a market shock should one of the contenders become the POTUS. 
  4. I am not familiar enough with the US market to mitigate against this risk.
Hence, I decided to sit it out and focus on looking through local investment opportunities for the moment.

There is still so much to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment