Thursday, April 21, 2016

Financial goals in life

Everyone knows that goals are important. Without goals, one loses purpose in their daily activities. Without goals, there is no focus, no energy, no drive.

This applies to the financial dimension as well. I'm surprised that not too long ago, my financial goals were so limited in scope. To be sure, I was servicing a significant debt, and I gave minimal thought to my money except to repay that loan.

So, what are my financial goals?

I come from humble origins, staying in a simple HDB flat from young. Coming from a single income family, we live comfortably, but not extravagantly. Meals are home-cooked food, and overseas holidays usually once every few years.

Upon graduating, I saw myself simply working to make ends meet. In my mind, work was absolutely necessary to bring food to the table, and this will need to continue as long as possible till retirement or even after.

Therefore, even today, my financial goals are simple:
  1. To live thriftily, and save amply (how much to save?)
  2. To invest my savings wisely into instruments (what instruments?)
  3. To save enough for retirement (how much is enough?)
  4. To have sufficient to support my children in future if possible
To be frank, I am just beginning my journey. All I have is a stable job, a small amount of cash and zero investment vehicle.

But I have something so many do not, from past and present - the ability to find information at my fingertips, at the click of a few buttons.

As such, I seek to share my journey with you. There may be some of you who are also just starting out, and wondering where to go. Not to fret, I am in THAT situation right now. Join me as we strive for a better future.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi CW8888!

      I'm afraid I'll sound silly here, but what is the World of Ants?

      Delete