Friday, April 29, 2016

Investing in... what?

So, I have yet to take my first step into investing.

At the moment, everything is more or less set up. I have a broker account, a CDP account, and the money ready.

Due to a simple oversight, I forgot to bring along my security token and as a result, I am unable to make my first step into investing today before the long weekend.

Therefore, I will make a theoretical timeline of how I am intending to invest. Hopefully, this will serve as a reminder and guide for my wife and myself as we progress along.

We currently have a sum of $80k to start off with. With this, I am intending to put $50k into the STI ETF to start off with.

Therefore, we intend to begin with this:

  1. STI ETF: 100%
  2. Warchest $30k

Thereafter, with our regular savings, I intend to purchase in batches till I achieve this:

  1. STI ETF 40%-60%
  2. REITS 0-20%
  3. Bonds ETF 40%
  4. Warchest $30k
I am still deciding how much to put into REITS, seeing as it is more defensive in nature. Should I take the allocation for REITS from the bonds portion instead of taking it from the STI ETF portion?


2 comments:

  1. I suggest taking it from the bonds portion since u are still young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DK,
      Thank you for your suggestion. I am partial to taking it from the bonds portion as well at this point in time. Will be diversifying my portfolio in time to come!

      Delete